Molly Sauer has been playing the trumpet since 2002. She attended Fairview High school in Boulder, CO and made Fairview's Jazz 1 as a sophomore. She joined the Denver Jazz Club Youth All-stars, an eight-piece traditional jazz ensemble, in 2009. The all-stars have attended the 2010 and 2011 Sacramento Jazz Jubilee as well as the 2011 Montreux Jazz Festival's Music in the park series. She is currently studying trumpet with Chritstine Fawson at the Berklee College of Music. At Berklee, Molly has played with distinguished performers such as Luiz Enrique and the 10-piece group Women of the World. She played with the Framingham-based Metrowest Symphony Orchestra for their 2012 fall and winter concerts, Divas, Dictators, and "the Duke" (November) and their Annual Holiday Concert. Molly is the sole proprietor of the independent publishing company Rage Swan Music, formed in the summer of 2012 when her piece "One Sunset" was recorded onto the Capri records CD Hang Time, available here.
As well as playing in Latin, Classical, Jazz, and Musical Theatre ensembles on the trumpet, Molly is an aspiring songwriter, using intricate melodies and inspired lyrics to express herself in a different medium. She enjoys silent films and the music tat accompanies them, and was recorded on the Kino collection "The Devil's Needle and Other Stories of Vie and Temptation", appearing in the soundtrack of the short film Children of Eve. She also worked live foaley effects alongside Ben Burtt for the San Fransisco Silent Film Festival's 2012 premiere of "Wings". She splits her time between Boston and Louisville, CO, where she spends the summer and winter recesses playing with various traditional jazz bands and small jazz combos around the Boulder/Denver area. When not playing music, Molly dabbles in watercolors and creative writing.
- Selected to play in the CU Middle School honor band 2007
- Outstanding High School Soloist Award from Skyline Jazz festival 2008 (only 8 awarded throughout the festival)
- Citations for Outstanding Musicianship from the Mile High Jazz Festival 2008, 2009, 2010
- Citation for Outstanding Musicianship at the Greeley Jazz Festival 2009
- Selected to play in the Flesher-Hinton Mile High Jazz Festival All-Star Band 2009 and 2010
- Voted Outstanding Junior Bandswoman 2010 by students in the Fairview Band program
- Selected to play in the Colorado All-state Jazz Band in 2011
- Selected to play in the Colorado All-State Concert band in 2011